This trail is a nice day hike on a slice of the Mokelumne Coast to Crest Trail. It is very close to the trail’s end at Martinez Regional Shoreline, the place chosen by the trail council to represent the Mokelumne River’s connection to the Pacific Ocean.
It is named in honor of Hulet Hornbeck, a well-remembered East Bay Parks Parks planner and trails enthusiast. This trail blends with the California Riding and Hiking Trail, an idea created over seventy years ago by a California State planner who thought California should have a closed loop trail running the length of the state. This trail is one of only a few remaining segments today.
The trail’s path begins in the Carquinez Strait Regional Shoreline and then heads up the exposed ridge south of the Carquinez Strait, ending in the Alhambra Valley of Martinez where you can visit John Muir’s home, a national historical site (undergoing restoration between January & mid-May 2011)
- Moderately challenging day hike
- Scenic views
- John Muir National Historical Site
- 3 miles, one-way
- wide, unpaved surface
- first and last legs of the trail are short and steep
Parts of this trail are wheelchair accessible according to East Bay Regional Parks District.
Area History TBD
- John Muir National Historical Site and Visitor Center
- Mt. Helen Trail
- the town of Martinez and waterfront park
- Martinez Regional Shoreline – site of the 1993 Coast to Crest Trail Relay end
- Carquinez Scenic Drive
- parking near John Muir Historical Site (Franklin Canyon & Alhambra)
- parking at Nejedly Staging Area, off Carquinez Scenic Dr., Martinez
General Trail Safety
- Use between sunrise and sunset
- Stay on trail
- Carry water and snacks
- Carry a GPS and bring a friend along
- Signage – Where the trail is signed it is marked at intervals with oval green, beige and white logo signs on 4×4 trail posts
- Leave-No-Trace—The MCCT Council supports and encourages LNT practices while on the trail
- Camping – Not allowed on the trail.
- Fire – Fire danger can be extreme, and fires, camp stoves, and smoking are prohibited